"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality" (John Lennon)

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Frederick Douglass

Frederick Douglass was the first person we studied when we started our "Civil and Human rights Project".
Here you can find more info about him:

This video tells the story of his first day as a free man. 

"I have been frequently asked how I felt when I found myself in a free State. I have never been able to answer the question with any satisfaction to myself. It was a moment of the highest excitement I ever experienced. I suppose I felt as one may imagine the unarmed mariner to feel when he is rescued by a friendly man-of-war from the pursuit of a pirate. In writing to a dear friend, immediately after my arrival at New York, I said I felt like one who had escaped a den of hungry lions. This state of mind, however, very soon subsided; and I was again seized with a feeling of great insecurity and loneliness. I was yet liable to be taken back, and subjected to all the tortures of slavery. …There I was in the midst of thousands, and yet a perfect stranger; without home and without friends, in the midst of thousands of my own brethren--children of a common Father, and yet I dared not to unfold to any one of them my sad condition... The motto which I adopted when I started from slavery was this--"Trust no man!" I saw in every white man an enemy, and in almost every colored man cause for distrust. It was a most painful situation; and, to understand it, one must need experience it, or imagine himself in similar circumstances. (By Frederick Douglass “Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, 1845)


No comments:

Post a Comment